Accessing your Personal Information and Records

How do I apply?

You will need to complete the Request to Access Records and Information Application Form (.pdf | .docx).


What ID will I need to provide?

Before we process your request, yourtown will require some form of photographic identification. This could be a copy of one of the following:

  • your driver’s licence
  • your passport
  • your 18+ card
  • your student card

If you don’t have any photographic identification you can provide two (2) other forms of identification.

This could be copies of any two of the following:

  • your birth certificate
  • your Medicare card
  • your Health Care Card
  • a bank statement or phone bill in your name

Other forms of identification may also be acceptable, as agreed with yourtown.

Before you send us copies of your identification, please make sure they are certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised witness such as a:

  • Dentist
  • Legal Practitioner
  • Doctor
  • Nurse
  • Pharmacist
  • Psychologist

You can also ask your local post office if they can witness your documents for you.


Will I have to pay?

Generally, yourtown does not charge a fee when you request your own personal information.


How long will it take to receive my information?

In ordinary circumstances, your request can take up to 30 days to process.


Can yourtown refuse my request?

Yes, yourtown has the right to refuse your request under certain circumstances, such as:

  • You are not entitled to the information by law
  • Releasing the information may put the safety or privacy of you or others at risk

yourtown may seek legal advice before deciding upon your request to access information. We will provide reasons if we refuse your request.


What if I’m requesting information on somebody’s behalf?

If you are requesting information on behalf of someone else such as a child or young person in your care, you will need to provide a signed letter of consent by the individual with your application. Complete the Request to Access Records and Information Application Form (.pdf | .docx), and provide copies of your identification and that of the person you are acting for as detailed above.


Who can I contact?

To speak to someone about your request, you can call our Records Department on (07) 3368 3399, or you can email